View Single Post
Unread 05-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

[QUOTE=Dean Romig;244127]They sure wouldn't be tall enough. They can strike 2/3 of their body length in height.

I have never been struck but I believe a strike from the ground would rarely be over about a foot above the foot. I used to wear leggings made out of screen but then stopped using them. The biggest risk for me was in climbing rocky outcroppings. You couldn't always see where you put your hands and that involved a degree of risk since the rattlers liked to sun on the ledges, if the weather was right. But it made hunting them more exciting.

The fangs won't penetrate leather boots. They are hollow and not really that strong. They can break easily. A new fang is grown if one is damaged.

I once took a guy with me that wanted to see how I caught the snakes. He got out of the car and strapped on a handgun. I told him that I don't kill snakes so there is no need for a gun. He replied that it wasn't for the snakes but for him if he got hit in the chest or face. He didn't want to suffer. I made him keep the gun in the car and told him that if he got hit, I was not dragging his body out. He can walk out and then shoot himself at the car. I was a bit obnoxious back in the day.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: