View Single Post
Shooting Parker #171
Unread 12-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,179 Times in 633 Posts

Default Shooting Parker #171

I had a little too much fun with this old back action today. This is actually the first back action I have shot, and today was my first day shooting it. I had someone raise a few dents in the barrles and I needed to replace a firing pin and spring. That was all it took to get it back in action other than a good careful cleaning.

I think the best part for for me was making 50 black powder shells with my daughter last night. I used a square load of 2 ½ drams of Goex 2f and 1oz. of 7 ½ shot. She wanted to help and usually I have her write “8s” on the overshot cards. I didn’t want to explain or complicate things by telling her to write 7 ½s(not sure why) so I said “Why don’t you pick a good design and draw it on each one” So we ended up with 50 Anchors, which seemed fitting living in the Ocean State. Our “Anchor” line of shotgun shells was born.

The gun shot better than I could have ever expected. In addition to black powder shells, I was also shooting some RST Faclon Ultra Lights 3/4oz at 1125fps. The gun did shoot the black powder shells very well, I made a few doubles that would have been nice shots with any gun. That made me happy

Here you can see a 150 year old Parker in action with the black powder shells: https://youtu.be/YKlsXZeBemQ

My daughter took the video this afternoon. Our “Anchor” shells didn’t have a very long shelf life, but made for a wonderful day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA1.jpg (113.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg BA2.jpg (170.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg BA3.jpg (146.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg BA4.jpg (188.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg BA4a.jpg (180.8 KB, 10 views)
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post: