View Single Post
Unread 12-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Norman View Post
My buddy Fred with 2 brittanies and I took our 3 dogs to a large farm and planted some chukars. That was early afternoon, and some guys had been there that morning. Each dog took their turn, I had cash go last, we made a big circle down towards a swampy area. Fred thought the morning chukar might be along that edge in thick cover. Cash went on point at the base of a 20' pine tree. He wouldn't move, I had Fred on one side of the pine tree, and I tried to walk in on the other side. I jumped on the ground, made some noise, just as I was touching cash on his head, I saw something move under a low hanging branch, cash was on the skunk in an instant. I grabbed him and doused his one eye with water, and the front of his chest as best I could. I was already thinking of how I am going to get him home, luckily I had 2 big towels in the car. As I was picking up my shotgun, Fred said well would ya look at that, I turned and cash was on point about 20 yards away his eye was bloodshot pretty badly. Fred shot the chukar, I layed those 2 big towels on the seat and back of seat to help keep the smell off the seat. I called my wife, she gave him a bath, we ordered "de skunk" that afternoon. I keep it in my car now wherever I go.
It's clear that after the initial sting of the spray has passed, our dogs are ready for business as normal. As for us, well, I'm still cringing at the smell when I open the back of the truck to put the dogs in.

Hey, Ed, nice to have a pal (a.k.a. wife) help when the dogs get into trouble, eh?
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote