Unread 12-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,601 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hoop View Post
Gary
I am going to find some Skunk Off. Finn has had just that one experience with a skunk thankfully. He has also had a run in with a porcupine in Michigan. We got lucky, fortunately spring loaded pliers that I carry took care of that little mess. So far Finn’s house mate the Setter, Buzzy has only had a penchant for possum. He seems to object to them cleaning up under the quail and chukar pens. I can’t believe he hasn’t got bit. He doesn’t shake them just grabs them by the neck and brings them to me. It took a lot of juice to curb his enthusiasm, and the Boss wasn’t crazy about possums playing dead in the kitchen.
Try Gun Dog Supply for the Skunk Off. BTW, all of our dogs go for possums, and will retrieve them for some odd reason. (I have a warm spot for possums as they keep tick populations down.) We get turtle retrieves sometimes in hot weather. An old trainer told me that turtles smell similar to birds to a dog. How he knew that, I'll never know. Maybe he learned it on Facebook.

I carry hemostats on a loop around my neck on every hunt. Great for pulling quills or, heaven forbid, closing up wounds to stop bleeding.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: