Thread: Fall is here
View Single Post
Unread 10-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
Garth Gustafson
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,352 Times in 373 Posts

I thought I would share this old picture of the hill country around Colebrook, Conn. Although the picture is probably 100 years old, it brought back a lot of memories at least for me growing up in the northwest corner of the state.

I started hunting in the 60s. It was a great time for a kid old enough to be given his first shotgun to get into hunting. There was a lot more un-posted land back then, people's attitude towards hunters was more tolerant, and the area still had old farms with pastures reaching up the side of the hills, cornfields, overgrown apple trees, brambles and stone walls. Partridge, woodcock, rabbits and woodchucks were no easier to hit but they sure seemed to be more plentiful.

Dairy farming in that rocky, hilly corner of the state has been in decline for a long time. Most are long gone. The land is much more forested today. Dense forests are nice but I miss the open land.

I wish I could trade places with that guy in the picture, grab my shotgun and dog on a crisp fall October day and walk those fields and woods again.
Garth Gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote