View Single Post
Unread 10-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Dean: Just the opposite actually. No one with enough brain cells to fall in the low double digit range would use a .45LC on a grizzly bear, at least not in a Colt SAA. Better to have just have one bullet for yourself if the situation is that critical. I was working up what was to be the lightest load that would go off reliably so I could sit on my porch with a cuppa tea and plink. The mistake was having 12 cases in the loading block and only charging 6 at a time, leaving the others in the block. Apparently I charged 8 cases but put bullets in only 6 and the next time charged all 6 in the block, giving two a dbl charge of green dot. Not good. All the manuals say to visually check your charged cases for a very good reason. One shot and I was off to the local clinic for some stitches; unfortunately the brain transplant I requested was not available at that clinic, but I've been a much more careful reloader since that day. My trigger finger is still a bit stiff from that incident but only because the wound became infected. The only other after effect was that I had to give up playing bluegrass banjo because of the lack of flexibility in that finger. Oh well; I wasn't that good at it anyway. We live and learn...at least hopefully. I guarantee you that the ruptured cylinder will be in clear view on my bench until I've reloaded very my last pistol round....
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote