View Single Post
Unread 01-25-2024, 11:29 PM   #3
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,335 Times in 12,401 Posts

We’d love to see the engraved scene on the bottom of the frame. Looks like a large cat or canine attacking a deer??? We haven’t seen such engraving on a Parker until this, that I know if.
Parker No. 4560 is shown in the Grade column as a D which, as nearly as I can determine, indicates Damascus barrels and not necessarily a Grade 3 (D). The bolster sculpting is that of a Grade 3 gun but in that period grades had yet to be assigned, let alone a standardization of checkering, engraving, bolster and frame sculpting.
The subject gun actually lacks any group of grade-specific features but the lock plates have four pins behind the hammers which is specific to grade 3 and higher Parkers, however, the level of engraving of the lock plates is more often associated with later hammer guns of at least grade 4 and higher. The stock lacks the drop points common to grade 3 and higher.
It’s an enigma for sure and as the OP has stated, it could be the equivalent to the later Grade 5… or maybe a Grade 4. A research letter may show a grade but more likely will list only its dollar value.

Nice Parker by the way and certainly a good candidate for a quality and true-to-originality freshening.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: