View Single Post
Unread 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #26
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,289 Times in 12,390 Posts

Actually, Sherman Bell was inspired to perform his destructive experiments and subsequently write his "Finding Out" articles by the ongoing feuding between the two polarized camps of the pro and con folks regarding the safety or lack thereof in shooting composite barreled guns with nitro powders. At the time of Bell's first article there were a great many shooters who wouldn't give a second thought to shooting a composite barreled gun with nitro powders as long as the pressures were moderate but there were times more shooters who were absolutely horrified at the thought. The ratio of believers vs non-believers has changed as a result of Sherman's articles but not by much I suspect.
Long before Bell conducted his experiments I was advised by Dr. Oscar Gaddy that shooting my 16 0-frame sixteen with .064" wall thickness at the front of the chambers would be fine with loads under 7,500 psi. Even before that I was shooting My Damascus 12 gay with 'off the shelf' ammo, and I know a lot of others who were as well. But we do owe a lot of thanks to Sherman Bell for popularizing the shooting of our composite barreled guns and for helping to elevate the value of these guns.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: