View Single Post
Unread 01-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #17
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,817 Times in 1,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
J.B. Books, I have a 1969 Lyman Shotshell Handbook, (first complete edition) with some 10 gauge 2 7/8" and 2 3/4" loads. It has field loads for both lengths and buckshot loads for the 2 7/8". All the 2 7/8" loads are in Remington SP plastic hulls and the 2 3/4" loads are all Canuck paper hulls.
The only powders used are SR7625, SR4756, PB, and AL-7. The buckshot loads are SR7625 or PB. If you're interested in the loads I'll take it into the office and scan and post the data. It might take several days until I make it in though.
This would be great Bob. I am in the process of putting together an Excel spreadsheet with any printed information for 2 7/8" 10ga. So far I have data from Speer #7, Hercules Powder Guide 1968, Lyman 2nd and 3rd editions, Handloader #81, Handloaders Digest 97, Ballistic Products Deci-Max (VP100), Dupont Powder Guide 1965, Nice Shot, plus a couple of loads posted here. I am awaiting arrival in the mailbox of further vintage guides from Hercules and Hodgdon. Although some of the components are no longer available, Rem SP hull, 57 primer etc. These loads give some ballpark ideas on what powders will work and an idea of how much powder to use. It's then up to us to develop and test what we put together. I'll be glad to share when it's more complete and appreciate any info you can send along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
J.B., have you ever looked at the Gun Digest Book, "Reloading for Shotguns"? I have the 5th edition and it has a half dozen field loads for the 2 7/8" 10 gauge that use Herco, Unique, IMR 800X, and Universal. Not many loads, but one with 1 1/4 oz. of shot and 36 grains of Herco is 7050 psi. Looks like a useful load in the old girls. There is also a half dozen buckshot loads using the same powders in the 2 7/8" as well. At least the components for these would still be available.
The 1968 Hercules Guide has 3" 10ga with 1 1/4 ounce loaded with 42 grains of Herco at 1360 fps. No hull or primer specified, no reported PSI, I am assuming roll crimp for lack of info. This sounds like a real "screamer" probably near SAAMI max pressure. Good to see such comparisons.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote