View Single Post
Unread 06-15-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

Congrats on your first Lefever. Factory 24" barrels would be very rare, almost unheard of. You'll want to check the tubes at the muzzle to see if they're touching which they should be. If not touching the barrels were cut.

This looks like an earlier gun and in 12-gauge it will have 2-1/2" chambers or even slightly shorter. Steel or composite barrels? I strongly suggest getting the barrel walls checked before shooting, not only the forward 1/3 of the barrels as usually done but also the higher pressure run from the forcing cones out to 12" or so.

That little chip above the right lock plate looks like it may come loose/get lost during shooting; you might want to get that secured beforehand.

Syracuse Lefevers have way more stock recoil bearing surface than let's say LC Smith guns and especially around the lever spindle. I've shot the heck out of many Lefevers with nary a care about old dry wood, and never developed a stock crack. Most of the cracks you see around lock plates resulted from guys not taking due care when removing them for cleaning etc. My clays load for verified to be safe Lefevers is 1 ounce at 1160 speed, pushed by single-base "PB" powder.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: