Unread 12-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,582 Times in 3,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
there are three plausible explanations for the primer shortage -

Hoarding - people think they have to have 10's of thousand primers on hand for the impending Armageddon -

Profiteering - look on Gunbroker - there are primers for sale - at extortion prices - a box of 1000 primers (depending on size and brand) should be about $40 +/- - they are available on GB for 250 to 300 or even more - the only way to stop that is for people not to buy them - but the panic types will continue to encourage this behavoir even though they are less likely to use them any more than the garage full of toilet paper

lastly - and maybe mostly - its the ammo shortage -the ammo makers are sucking up the primers as they come off the line - because there are more hoarders stockpiling ammo than there are reloaders - the manufacturers of primers are not about to build more factory capacity for what may be a temporary crisis if that investment will not be need long term - primers take specialty equipment

the only primers I am truly low on is small pistol primers - the local gun shops I know tell me they have been on back order for most of the year with no delivery date in sight
We’ve had customers bringing in primers for us to sell on GB . One guy brought in a sleeve (5,000) WIN small rifle primers , we listed them for $225 and as it’s an auction site they sold for about $700 . We’ve had others bring in a thousand of this or that list them at $50 and they all end up going for about $150 . I saw a pound of Hodgdon H322 on there the other day the seller was asking $225 for a single pound