View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2024, 08:39 PM   #5
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,132 Posts

Thanks all. I appreciate the replies.

Art, not all oil finishes are actually linseed. The "Classic American Oil Finish" that Pilkington used and promoted is a mixture of 50% pure Tung Oil and 50% water-based spar varnish. This is what, I have been told, Remington used on their very highest grade doubles. It is what I'm using because of it's depth and luster, and superior water resistance to linseed.

In fact, after today consulting with my mentor on this I have decided to not use the linseed oil as a "finish up", but use the same mixture that I sanded it. I can recall having some issues many years ago with water spotting on a gun that had a linseed oil rubbed in finish and he advised me that he had encountered the very same issue.

I have used TruOil for many years but after purchasing a Parker with a sanded in finish of Tung Oil and Spar Varnish I don't think I will go back to TruOil. Just a personal observation and just my experience.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm kinda figuring this all out as I go, with much outside help.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: