View Single Post
Unread 09-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
Scott Chapman
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary View Post
Scott:

Thanks for the account and photos. A brief but very memorable-sounding hunt.

And, congratulations on making a double.

What are some details or specifics of that legacy 16 gauge; and, what and where did your grandfather hunt with that gun?
My Parker was my grandfather's only shotgun. He presented to me in its original Redhead LOM case when I graduated from HS in 1984. It is a Trojan 16 gauge with 26" barrels. It was made in 1924. Pop was born and lived in Cheshire CT for most of his life. He was a pro hockey player back in the day and family legend has it that my grandmother purchased the shotgun used from Parker Brothers in Meriden for him for $19.

He traveled on the train to play hockey and he took the shotgun with him to hunt wherever he happened to be. He told me that he hunted pheasants in the Midwest and even honkers on the Eastern Shore. He and my Dad shot lots of grouse and woodcock and put and take pheasants at a hunting club.

Pop's older brother, Uncle Chap, was a dentist and Pop told me that Chap was hunting buddies with one of the Parkers that owned Parker Brothers. I remember Pop mentioning Charlie Parker but I can't remember if it was Charlie or one of his sons. He said they shot birds together at the Quinnepiac Rod and Gun Club. I have an old silver ashtray dated 1951 that Pop's setter won in a Derby Stakes at Quinnepiac. Chap is the one who facilitated the Trojan purchase for my grandmother with his connection with the Parkers.
Scott Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scott Chapman For Your Post: