View Single Post
Unread 05-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have had several pierced primers with RST 10 G shells, all Cheddites. Never with Win 209s

However pierced is something I see in single shot rifles. I shoot a CPA Stevens 44 1/2 reproduction. The hammer strike is externaly adjustable, switch barrel with 3 different calibers and I run two with large pistol primers one with large rifle primers. Complicated.

Thing I have learned is there is a relationship between pressure, hammer strike, firing pin shape, protrusion and the primer itself. Any one going too far they will pierce. CPA added a gas escape hole in the breech block, original Stevens did not have them, to route escaping gas. Same idea as the Parker photo Dean posted.

If they are piercing something should be changed, I would have a good Parker man check all the gun possable causes, since Win 209 primers don’t have a soft reputation. Escaping gas through the pin hole can cause a lot of problems.

Having said all that manufacturers will always look for ways to cheapen products primers no exception.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Davis For Your Post: