View Single Post
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,517 Times in 3,097 Posts

If a person is completely honest with himself, he'll know if it's within his capability. The average shade tree mechanic will probably bugger the screws before he knows it.
The best Snap-On screwdrivers can be tossed back in the toolbox. Goes without saying that the Sears tools aren't for this job either. If you're comfortable with fine detailed mechanisms, invest in a quality set of gun smithing screwdrivers from Brownells or Midway. English and European guns have finer screw slots, but if you're only working on your American guns, a good 20 piece set of fixed blade drivers is all you need.
Removing the sear pin isn't necessary for the end-of-season maintenance. Just removing the trigger plate will get you to everything that needs a good rinse and lube. If the hammer springs need to come out, you're better off sending it out.
I have done instrument repair as well as supporting my other hobby of clocks, watches and music boxes. My Land Rovers take an entirely different mind set.
Barrel rusting, dent removal, putting a gun on face; they go out. Even I know when to hand those jobs off to the pros.
If toaster operation and ink cartridge changing is the limits of a persons level of machine work, send it out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: