Unread 10-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #32
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Try this recipe Charlie-

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
boy a duck dinner never sounded better... charlie
I don't shoot many wood ducks, but we did a river "float trip" recently- I used 1 oz. No 7 steel Winchester loads in a M12- and shot two-- woodies and teal are about the best eating ducks (IMO) they never eat fish, snails, mullocks- etc- and mainly eat acorns-- so like squirrels and turkeys, mighty tasty if fixed right--

I pick and clean the smaller ducks like this (big mallards and geese I usually fillet out the breasts)- soak overnight in cold water with white vinegar and a little salt in a plastic or non-metallic bowl in the ice box- drain, clean off any remaining feathers, blood, debris and wipe dry- then marinade for 24 hours in a covered dish in Balsamic vinegar-- when you are ready to cook- stuff the cavity with sliced apples (I like spies of McIntosh) and take the reserve Balsamic vinegar and mix in slowly brown sugar until it is just runny- NOT too thick- and close the neck cavity with the same thread you use for roasting a turkey-, then pour the sugared vinegar mixture into the cavity stuffed with the apple slices- then stitch up the "trapdoor" to keep everything inside, pepper the outer skin including the legs, place some thicj slices sweet onions on the breast and then criss-cross with bacon strips- double wrap tightly in Reynolds Wrap and cook for about 40 minutes on your grill- 20 minutes per side- let stand in foil for a few minutes before you unwrap to maintain the juices, slice and serve- I like redskin potatoes with these birds, buttered carrots, rolls and a nice Leibfraumilch slightly chilled- and of course, Parker house rolls!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote