View Single Post
Unread 10-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #9
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,587 Times in 3,086 Posts

We went 11 miles yesterday, hitting young aspen, pine thickets, swamp edges, and spruce plantations. The sun was out for the first time since we've been here, and some of the south facing slopes were snow free. I thought I might find a bird or two sunning and looking for "salad" -- nothing! In 5-plus hours of hunting, we moved three grouse -- two only heard -- with no shots. After we got home I got pretty sick with some sort of intestinal bug. Not one of my best days. I think we'll take the morning off and regroup. We have had some of the least productive days in my 33 years of hunting here. We are not even seeing many tracks in the snow, at least grouse tracks. The wolves are on the move and we encounter fresh sign daily. There are some big ones roaming the Northwoods.

Reports from hunters before us were that the bird numbers were decent, so I can only speculate that they are sequestering themselves back in the thickest, protective cover. It was 13 degrees this morning with a stiff breeze, but tomorrow is forecast to be in the low 40s. Maybe the birds will move around more. Hope springs eternal in a hunter. I'm encouraged to read that Harold is finding birds and getting chances. I hope Bruce has better luck than we've had so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4061.jpg (499.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4053.jpeg (224.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4047.jpg (505.7 KB, 0 views)
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: