View Single Post
Unread 12-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have two other modern sxs in 20 and 28 ga that have 26 inch barrels. My Parker 16 VH has 28 inch barrels. Overall length of guns compared to each has the Parker just slightly longer, maybe an inch or less. To me in the field or range it is hardly discernible,because in tight cover its overall length and not just barrel length that matters to me. The stock on newer guns is a bit longer and Parker stock is a bit shorter, so it balances the OAL some. All the guns balance between the hands very well, though the 28 is so much lighter that it can feel whippy after handling other guns but man can you move it quickly. Shooting that 28 compared to shooting the 20 or 16 gauge is like running in hunting boots and then changing to your running shoes it is definitely a spry feeling.

Whether you like a shorter barrel or longer barrel gun, if choked comparably then shot performance is about the same. Between a 26 to 28 does that once or so of weight at the end make a difference of how the gun swings, to some yes, to others maybe not.

This is where I get confused though. Most of the dogma you hear nowadays is that you should never see the sights on a shotgun and focus on the bird/target hence you might stop your swing. Personally a believer of this process; however look at any of Tom Knapps guns and he always had one of his bright front sights on his guns. I don't know if he was just getting paid to endorse/use that product or was a true believer but he used them for years. I guess whatever works for you. Maybe Ole Tom could shoot no matter what was on the front of his gun.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote