Ironing out dents
Unread 03-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #24
Campchair
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Ironing out dents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
Try a pad wet with water and a iron on high. Lay the pad over the gouge and apply the iron to it. Keep it moving back and forth. When the steam after a couple of seconds quits coming off it, move the pad to a wet spot and redo. If wood is missing this won't work, but a dent will usually rise. You may have to do it a number of times, maybe 20 or 30, but don't be in a hurry. Brownells sells a little triangularly one with a handle but I just use a old iron I bought for $2 at a garage sale. I've raised many a dent with it and a old white sock with a cup of water.
I’m not sure if the WEN type soldering guns are even sold these days, but I have one I got back in the 1970’s. It was in a plastic suitcase- like box with several accessories. One of these is a tip ending in a small steel square about 1/2”x1/2”. I’ve found it is the best heat source for dent removal I’ve ever used. I take a piece of un- dyed cotton and a small saucer of water. Fold the cloth till it forms a pad 8-10 layers thick. Lay the pad over the spot, then go over it in an ironing-type motion. When it dries out, re-wet it. Been using it for several years and I’ve raised some pretty deep dents.
William Wood is offline   Reply With Quote