View Single Post
Unread 04-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #26
Richard B. Hoover
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack mccrocklin View Post
MR Hoover,
i am occasionally asked to view inherited gun "collections" and very recently found myself holding an 1870 era lifter.
The family had no idea whatsoever what they had, but we know its been in this family for several generations.
I went back into my collection of DOUBLE GUN JOURNALS and found your superb article on "The Poker Parker No 3561" from volume twenty, 2009.
I have arranged a follow-up visit to more thoroughly examine and record the markings, mic the bores, and get better photos etc., than the first, rather rushed meeting allowed.
I intend to follow the steps suggested from the PGCA and request a factory letter. Since this gun is in Louisiana, I am all the more fascinated by the Louisiana connection of the Poker Parker.
This new find is a lower dollar grade gun bearing more similarity to serial 24590 as shown in volume seventeen, Autumn 2006 (issue 3) of DGJ, (pg 121)... but does bear the gold shield on wrist.
Any specific suggestions you could offer as to what markings to look for other than those listed for more modern guns would be sincerely appreciated. I am aware that this may possibly be an 11 ga. I have noted the bore measurements of >740"-.763" from your article to further investigate this possibility.
Thanks,
JSM
I have been traveling home from the SXS and just now reading me messages. If the gun has a gold shield on the wrist it is one of the top two grades. This is most easily determined by examining the sculpting of the bolsters. If it contains a full teardrop (like 3561) it is the highest grade ($250 or Grade 6 equivalent) If the teardrop goes only 3/4 way to the standing breech it is the $200 (grade 5equivalent). Both are quite rare and very highly prized. If you can send the serial number and photos it will be possible to give more precise information.

Richard
Richard B. Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard B. Hoover For Your Post: