View Single Post
Unread 09-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #30
Kirk Mckinney
Forum Associate

Member Info

Gentle I found this on a different form regarding trying to work up a low pressure load for Bismuth for my old fox.....

Responding to "Longshot Powder Problems". My name is Ron Reiber and I am the product manager at Hodgdon Powder Company. I casually watch posts that discuss powders that we manufacture, and try to rectify any misconceptions that occur regarding their use. Longshot was developed to be used primarily as a field powder for use in 28,20,16,12 and 10 gauge, and it is excellent in all those applications. Properly used for the long range target/back fence games, it works equally well.
However, this is America, and Americans always believe "more" is better. Not so in shotgun. When used towards the bottom end of the listings for 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz, pressures are moderate, peak time is long, and set-back of shot is minimal, which delivers excellent patterns. Truthfully, 1150 fps to 1250 fps gives ideal patterns with minimal fliers,and is my personal favorite loading range. Managing a ballistics laboratory for 36 years teaches you the nuances of shotshell loads, and what works best. Yes, 1 1/8oz loads of very slow burning powder are loud at the upper end because you are burning a great deal of slow burning powder, and that simply translates into LOUD. Why get the crap beat out of you if slower velocities pattern better?? Limiting what people use on those games is like having the left tell you that you must give up your guns. Use commons sense and ask those individuals to use lesser loads in their ammunition. They need to learn more about reloading, and what actually works to their benefit, and you as competitors need to insist they do just that!!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Longshot Powder. Our nearest competitor realized the value in this fine product and made a copy called ProReach, just like they copied Clays with Clay Dot.
Don't be a leftist and start banning perfectly good products, do your part and control how they are used on your ranges!
Thanks for taking the time to read this note!

Sounds promising...although I have no experience with Longshot...only read where it will knock birds out of the upper stratosphere. When loaded to the hilt... Anyone on here have any experience with slowing this powder down. I plan on loading a couple of different loads and having them tested. Any tip would be helpful.

Last edited by Kirk Mckinney; 09-16-2016 at 10:54 AM..
Kirk Mckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Mckinney For Your Post: