View Single Post
Unread 06-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #16
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,757 Times in 3,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
I hope to never have to use the shock function when hunting and would only do so if the dog got near a road or started chasing a wild hog. Actually, if it were not for those two concerns, I would only be interested in the GPS. The shock collar that died served its purpose in teaching the here command. I have had to use the vibrate a few times when he got distracted and excited by something and stopped listening to commands
Mills,

I rarely use any stimulation, and only to help with situations like chasing deer, or if they are about to encounter a porcupine or skunk. Once they understand the commands, I associate them with both the collar tone function and the whistle. This way I can communicate with them via two means, and using the tone, there is no noise to spook game. I "beep" them, they look back or turn, and I can give them hand signals. It's great in the grouse woods, and when I run my dogs as a brace when quail hunting (using the tone, I can communicate with just one dog, whereas when I use the whistle, they both will respond).
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: