View Single Post
Unread 06-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #75
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
Just so there's no confusion . . . H.L. Leonard rods were not hand-planed, the strips were produced with a beveller. A beveler is a little different from a milling machine -- a beveller utilizes two blades cutting with one pass as to opposed to a milling machine that has one blade cutting with two or three passes. The old Leonard beveller is now owned and used by former Leonard rod builder Bob Taylor.
he

That's exactly why I call them the Parker of cane rods. There was some non-manual work done on them but they were, like Parker, pretty much a handmade product that was built with great care. I consider the early Payne rods akin to the older London best doubles, all hand work. Parkers are not the equal of a London best double and Leonard is not equivalent to an early Payne or Garrison, but I love them both.

The beveler you mentioned was kept in a locked room at Leonard and few had access to it. Ted Simroe was my favorite builder at Leonard and I like the rods from his period the best. Others might disagree with that but I have a fondness for his actions. My collection of Leonard's are all Simroe rods except for a light salmon rod that I use for Atlantic salmon. I have fished Ted's rods from coast to coast. I no longer fish Oregon since I have added the coastal cutthroat to my quest to catch each sub species of cutthroat trout in their aboriginal drainages. But I will have a couple of Ted's rods with me this September on my quest for West Slope cutthroats and Bonneville cutthroats to complete my cutthroat slam.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote