View Single Post
Unread 08-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,829 Times in 2,017 Posts

Told you guys before that Shawn( and his brother Andrew) are a good read. I dont think I was subscribed to his blog when that one came out. I highly recommend their Upland Ways blog, not just for their outdoor passion, but also for their philosophy of life gleaned from thier blog.
But back to the topic in question, like Tom, I relish a day outdoors with just me and my dogs. On my 2 week grouse trip each year, the first is spent with my closest friend Terry. He no longer has a dog, so all points are shared with him. We double so often on birds that the first question after the flush is "Did you Shoot". He goes home after a week, and I spend the second week hunting by myself. My flush rate often goes up, and my kill rate always goes up. It is then that I usually switch from the VH 20, to my hammer guns--much safer when by yourself. I have hunted the North Country for 32 years now and am comfortable by myself. I do carry my cell phone with the local Google Earth maps downloaded onto it, and a GPS. I have been thinking of getting one of those emergency locators, ssuch as SPOT, in case something happens.
I am basically 65 but in good shape, and I know the last time I saw you, Matt, a couple years ago, you looked to be in good shape. Hope you can make it up their again.