View Single Post
Unread 11-24-2018, 07:07 AM   #18
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
I use a bell on all our Setters. Help keep track of them in cover. I use locater collars w/o the run/rpoint turned on. If I need to locate a dog in the thick stuff I just hit a button. If I want them to come back I just hit a button. Not a big deal as they don't get out far, I keep them inside of 50 yards.
I saw you mentioned this other day when talking about training your dog and meant to commend you on it. I think this is the best use of employing a beeping collar I have ever heard put into practice. I don't like listening to beeping collars all time. However, train a dog to hear that noise combined with a whistle trill like used with a retrievers would be a great way to hunt with a rangey dog or hunting in tight hilly cover. I think whistle helps them locate you quicker.

I like using the bell on dogs. It is a great way to locate them as they move and you can tell how they are moving in real time by action of the bell. For years that is all that we used was a bell. If we did not hear the bell we would start looking for the point in last direction we heard the bell. Later on we had a dog that was really good and was quite deliberate and stealthy when he scented birds way off and that bell might not hardly make a noise. Started using a hawk call on the caller for when he would go on point. Wild birds that hear a hawk call will freeze up and maybe hold a little tighter.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: