View Single Post
Unread 04-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #29
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
The problem with taxidermy is it does not stand up well to age. Maybe really well ones do. I have the snipe shown above and a deer. I also have a Diamondback rattlesnake skin that I am getting framed in order to preserve it. I will post pictures when done. It was 6 feet long and had four fangs. The head with the fangs are still in the science lab at my old school as of a few years ago.
Rattlesnakes typically have at least several sets of "ready to go" fangs in reserve, behind the ones currently in use. They can replace broken or worn fangs in pretty short order, and it is not real uncommon to see a snake with three exposed fangs, but I have never seen four fully exposed fangs. This has gotten many dog handlers in trouble over the years, as they unknowingly would "de fang" a rattler to use for snake training, not knowing that within a few hours, that snake may have replaced the broken off fang, and is again fully functional.

We use either surgical staples, or a couple of cable ties, to secure the business end of the snake for aversion training.

here are a few "in waiting" from a few years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rattlers.jpg (572.2 KB, 1 views)