View Single Post
1906 Parker
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Doug Marks
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 1906 Parker

Hi Everybody!

I'm not only new to this forum, but I'm new to Parker, too. I grew up on a farm in Virginia, but have lived in SC for over 30 years. As a kid, I had a little Fox 20 ga. double barrel, but my dad "traded" it later for a Browning 12 ga. for me

I haven't actively hunted for a number of years, but still have lots of friends and relatives who live to hunt!

My dad died about two months ago at age 88. Right after he got home from Europe after WWII, he and some fellow farmers founded a hunt club in Southampton County, Virginia. Indiantown Hunt Club is still VERY active, and has been for 67 years. About two months before dad died, I took him on a hunt on the last day of deer season in the county. I got my vehicle in position where he could hear the dogs run, and we actully saw three bucks that morning. I'm so glad he was able to get in that last "hunt" with his friends. His TRUE love, however, was "bird hunting". Over the years he had a dozen or more bird dogs ... English pointers, English setters, Boykin spaniels, and a few that were of questionable lineage! As a young man, he'd buy two case of shells each year. He shot No. 9's before Christmas, and No. 8's after Christmas. This was back when there were more shells in a case than there are now, and he NEVER had any left over at the end of the season. I don't know how many quail he shot in his lifetime, but he was a hell of a shooter!

But I digress. Dad gave me a gun a few years ago that belonged to my great-grandfather. My great-granddad was a businessman and avid hunter. He founded a club near Como, NC in the early 1900's. I hope to find out if this gun that I have was bought originally by him. In any case, it has been hunted by him, my granddad, and my dad. I plan to do a bit of shooting with it, and then eventually pass it on to my grandson. When he gets it, he can say it was used by his great-great-great grandfather!

I've looked the gun over carefully, and I've done a bit of reading about Parkers. I'm going to cut and paste a document detailing all the markings I've found on the gun, and I'm attaching some photos I took of it this morning. I'm hoping to find out a lot about my new treasure from some of you more "seasoned" guys! (Hey, I'm 66 years old. That's pretty seasoned, but I'm don't know much about guns!)

Thanks for any help you might give me. I'd love to know what I should do to properly take care of the gun, and what ... if any ... precautions I should take before shooting it.

Keep up the good work on this forum. It's REALLY a good source of information and entertainment!

Parker Bros. Hammerless Double-Barrel Shotgun
Mfg. In 1906

12 Gauge
26” barrels
Choke(s): ??? (I'm guessing Imp Cyl and/or Mod)

Markings on gun:

Serial number: 139925 (Found on tail of trigger guard, underside of forestock, on side of barrel “lug” steel, and on watertable)

Patent dates:
Mar 26, 1878 (on forestock “key”
May 7, 1901 (found on underside of forestock)
Jan 18 – Aug 16, 1887 (found on watertable)
May 7 – Oct 8, 1890 (found on watertable)
Aug 15, 1905 (found on watertable)

Other markings:
Numeral “2” found above serial number on watertable
Letter “G” found below serial number on watertable

“Parker Bros. Markers Meriden Conn Damascus Steel” found between barrels upper side
“1 1/2” and letter “K” stamped on barrel lug

Stamped on flat of barrels, on one side of lug:
Letter “D” with a number “3” above it
Letter “C” by itself
Number “3” with superscript “13”

Stamped on flat of barrels, on opposite side of lug:
Oval with letters “WK” inside

Pistol grip with plastic cap saying “Parker Bros Meriden Conn”
Butt plate with “Parker Brothers” and dog and bird

Brass shield on underside of stock

Game scene engraving on receiver and trigger guard
(Left side has ducks with “Parker Bros”)
(Right side has grouse ??? with “Parker Bros”)

Finish on barrels and receiver seem pretty good. Barrels seem to be chambered for low power shells. No cracks on stock or forestock. Checkering on stock and forestock in good shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2935.jpg (559.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2950.jpg (362.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2943.jpg (405.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2934.jpg (528.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2946.jpg (404.1 KB, 5 views)
Doug Marks is offline   Reply With Quote