View Single Post
Unread 12-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

PB, 7625, and 4756 have all been discontinued for a couple of years. I looked at Alliant and Hodgdons web sites and it looks like the Longshot has the lowest pressures, if that makes a difference to you. All primers are mild and normally can be interchanged if loading at mild pressures except the Fed 209A and CCI209M. Both of them are considered a hot, or magnum primer, and pressures will go up a bit. I see BPI has a short wad- SG20S- that might work for a 2 1/2" shell. Call them and ask for data to go with it. Please understand that I'm used to loading at low pressures so subbing in a different primer or sometimes wad won't effect the load a whole lot. If I were loading at near max pressures, then I would follow loading data to a T. In a 12 it's around 12,500psi, a bit higher for the smaller gauges. Bump the 18.8grs of Longshot down to 17 or 17.5 and shoot a couple. Check the barrel to see how dirty it is. A lot of unburnt powder and you need a bit more, at least for a clean burn. Good luck, let us know what you settle on.