View Single Post
Unread 05-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #30
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,372 Times in 3,073 Posts

I couldn't agree more, Craig, however, I am not, as you say, stating the opinion of one man, although I have yet to see, out of many examples, a piece of Mr. Turnbull's work that resembles colors reminiscent of Meriden's heat treat practice. As you may have failed to notice, I am only one of Many, who like another well known shop. Some people tout the work of a shop because they have had them do work; others may tout the work of a shop because they don't get along with another shop. My opinion is based upon what I have paid money for, in addition to many guns which I have cased for others.
As I stated before, I think Turnbull has a good idea how to heat treat a Winchester frame, but not so much a Colt frame. I spent over 20 years making Colt's case hardening boxes (yes, they are cast martensitic stainless steel) and did manage to pick up a few bits and bobs of info along the way. I have no doubt when Turnbull gets his packing practice under control, he'll start being consistent. What I mean by the clock thing, is his practice is not consistent.
What many people think of his work, may not, in fact, be his work. Do you know what he farms out? Hmmm......
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: