View Single Post
Unread 07-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #13
joe breda
Forum Associate

Member Info

Here’s a novel approach.
First I want to state, I’m mostly a shooter! Although I do appreciate the true collectors views, enthusiasm, the hunt for finding original pieces Etc. I also do have a few original specimens etc. and enjoy them for what they are and enjoyed the hunt in finding them, then negotiating a fair price. I love those that I have.
But as I said in the beginning “ IM A SHOOTER FIRST AND FOREMOST “!
My ratio is about 75% shooter & 25% collector.
Hence I combined the two into my 28ga Skeuse Parker and have the best combination of the two.
Long long ago, I sent my 26” barrels to Briley and had fitted 410 tubes manufactured.
The cost was around $750 dollars for the tubes, shipping and insurance etc.
There are those that may say tubes highly disturb the balance of some guns, and I couldn’t agree more, but that’s in MOST guns ! Not true concerning the 28 gauge 26” barreled Skeuse Parkers. In fact, my experience was , it enhanced the balance. What it also did was took the whippy-ness out of the 5.7 pound gun.
Most guns with tubes feel like there is an anchor hanging off the front of the barrels with tubes installed? But like I said, not the 28 gauge 26” Parker’s. To me it was the rare occasion, that it improved the handling. Also the 28 gauge’s light weight had substantial recoil, compared to other 28 gauges, more like a light 20 gauge with full factory loads.
The Briley’s took care of the recoil issue also.
Now I’m not saying the recoil in the 28 gauge is highly substantial, and would be just fine in the field. But like I said, I’m a shooter, and a shooter that shoots mostly clay targets. Hundreds of them at a time. So for me any reduction in recoil make the day more comfortable.
Sooooo, if there are any SHOOTERS, out there that would like to shoot 410’s out of their Skeuse Parker’s, I highly recommend a set of 410 Briley’s !
Everyone that has tried mine with the 410 tubes, have raved over them, and said what a pleasure it was. I recent acquaintances just purchased a Skeuse 28, after shooting his for a round or two, he tried mine. He said what a pleasure and is going to send his barrels to Briley ASAP to have a set fitted!
Again, this post is aimed at the Shooter that would like to shoot 410’s out of his or her 28 gauge Skeuse Parker’s ?
Believe me when I tell you,.... it was the BEST $750 dollars I EVER spent !
And,... nowadays, I rarely take the out !
Side note:
The Briley’s come with screw in chokes, so you can choose any choke arrangement you want! AND, overall you will NOT. be alternating your collector Skeuse Parkers in any way, hence having the best of two worlds, collator and shooter !
I’ll probably get a rash for writing this, and that I’m missing the point etc.
so be it! Please keep in mind, I am 75% shooter , and 25% collector, so if others are in that category as I, have some fun, and go get a set of Briley’s made ?
CHEERS,
JoeB
joe breda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joe breda For Your Post: