View Single Post
Unread 12-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,521 Times in 4,620 Posts

If you want to retain the SSBP, then it will be problematic.

When the butt is shortened, the height of the butt is reduced, so, also the SSBP would have to be reduced. So, you will end up with an ssbp that has a funny looking toe on it when all is said and done. the 1/2" in length you want will likely change the height by about 1/4".
Yes, the heel of the plate can be tweaked some to minimize the amount the plate will have to be altered, but it WILL have to be altered. Along with the wood as well, and also you will be looking at a refinish on the wood too when all is said and done.
There will be new screws for the buttplate needed and engraving work as well.

OR... you have a new plate custom made with the proper proportions.

OR... if you are not attached to the SSBP, then you can do a wood checkered butt, or a thin pad.

Like dean said, if you want it to look completely original, that 1/2" is going to cost you, a lot.

The same goes for DHBPs when talking about the proportions. A DHBP on an original gun cannot be made to work on a shortened stock. And have it look right.
It reminds me of a time when I made a custom stock for someone with very unique dimensions. VERY long and VERY high. They were proven dimensions that the owner wanted. And that is what I made it to. Well, a year later the stock was too long for him for one reason or another. He asked about shortening it and still having the DHBP on it. I explained that it could not be done and have the plate fit properly and that he would want to consider a pad instead. I never heard anything until another year later when I got the gun back to make a second forend for it on an extra set of barrels and was disappointed to see that he had sent the gun to someone else (I think I know who...) and had them alter the butt. The plate looked horrible, the screws were misaligned and sucked into the holes and the toe border was ground off the plate. I was so pissed! Now my name is attached to that stock with a buttplate that looks like chit! Anyway... I digress and I hope it helps get my point across.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!