View Single Post
Unread 02-26-2020, 08:01 PM   #14
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noreen View Post
The A.H. Fox Gun Co. called it a HALF-PISTOL GRIP. I don't have a scan of the HE-Grade catalog text on this laptop, but here is the text and picture for the A-/AE-Grade --

Attachment 81221

Attachment 81220

Likewise, Remington Arms Co. called their "standard" grip a half pistol grip.

I don't know of any American gun manufacturer that catalogued a "Prince of Wales" grip, just straight, half or full pistol grip. Parker Bros. had a variation of their half-pistol grip that swelled at the bottom and collectors today refer to it as a "ball grip".

I think only British makers offered a "Prince of Wales" grip. In the load of repros of English gun catalogues Cote' once sent me, some of them show it capped and some rounded grip for what they called a "Prince of Wales" Grip. I've always felt the capped full pistol grips on the Ithaca Gun Co. Flues Model doubles looked a lot like the "Prince of Wales" grips with caps in the English catalogues.
The American grip looks longer and more slender than the POW grip which appears to be shorter and stubby .

I noticed on a Bakers I seen the grip on it also looked identical to the Fox and Remington . I wasnt sure on the terminology of the grip profile .
What would the full grip look like ? I assume its the ones with more pronounced curvature of the grip area .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote