View Single Post
Unread 04-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #47
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I've met John Gierach a few times. He is a friend of my close fly fishing buddy who lives in Estes Park, Colorado, John's stomping grounds. John has given me some his books inscribed to me and talked about getting together with our cane rods and fishing the Big Thompson river, a favorite of his and mine.

I stay at my buddies house when I do my high peak trips. I usually fish a couple of days with him on private water to acclimate to the altitude. Then I'm off for five days on the high peaks and fish one day with him when I return.

Acclimating a couple of days helps, but I always get altitude sickness when I climb to about 10K feet. When I cramp up and start to ejection vomit, I lay down where I am and sleep to the next day. I'm too sick to put up my little one man tent. I'm better after a nights sleep and then can continue my trek. I takes me three days at altitude before I feel normal.

Dean, you have an amazing eye for detail but its not a caddis pupa. Insects do not live above the tree line. But the winged insects get brought up to altitude on the thermals from below and this is what the greenbacks feed on. They cruise close the bank picking off the insects.

You fish for them by standing in one spot and then casting ahead of them when they swim by. You never have long to wait since the greenbacks are very plentiful in the few alpine lakes where they still exist. Virtually any dry fly will work. They don't spook when they see you but they scatter quickly if you put a line over them. They have only about three months to feed before ice in so they are not selective at all and will rise to any well placed fly.

I take no food with me and limit my backpack to 30 pounds. Every ounce matters when you are climbing to altitude. I eat brook trout that I catch at lower altitudes and bring five days worth to altitude with me. I don't like killing them but I have no choice. For a green, I boil the leaves from the green clasping leaved twisted stalk plant. It is wonderful eating and tastes like a cross between swiss chard and cucumber. I eat well.

Here is a brookie from one of my lower altitude beaver ponds. They are beautiful and incredibly plentiful.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: