View Single Post
Unread 02-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #8
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,045 Times in 1,173 Posts

Phil,

The jacket patches are what's called chainstitch embroidery. That style doesn't transfer well into smaller emblems, you just can't get any detail. The machines they're made on are probably 65 years old and that embroidery style has been around since the early 1900s.

These small ovals are done in what's called swiss style embroidery which has been around for 100 or so years and you can get some decent detail with it. I did nod to the modern era with the marrowed edge though, that didn't come into use till about 1950. I played with the idea of doing a cut border like the earlier style patches but the little company hasn't done one in so many years they weren't exactly sure how to make it look right. Plus the marrowed border is very durable as I mentioned before.

The patch you show above is done on what's called a multi-head loom which is computer oriented. That style patch manufacturing didn't come into use till about 1983. It has a particularly modern look and I don't care for it.

I'm funny, I know 90% of people don't know the difference and don't care. But when I do something I want it to please my own eye as much as I want it to please others. Like I said, I'm funny about it and likely the only one who would actually care. Hah!
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post: