Thread: Ruffs up north
View Single Post
Unread 10-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #43
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,597 Times in 3,088 Posts

Well, Richard sure has me pegged as an October snow wimp. I like my Octobers brisk and colorful.

The vagaries of grouse hunting are part of the appeal. One day we hunt all day and flush 9 birds, and then the next we put up 26. Certainly the wind, 25-plus mph, is part of the mix. And then there's the lack of chances at birds. In spite of flushing 26 birds yesterday, only three offered shots, and unfortunately, none over two nice points by our puppy who is still figuring out what's going on, but knows to stop and point when he smells grouse. Oh, to be able to shoot one for the young guy.

We've also encountered a good deal of evidence that there was a strong windstorm with one trail almost obliterated by large downed trees. The good news is that the grouse like hiding in the blowdowns.

We are also getting into some woodcock and they are offering opportunities, although typically tough in heavy cover. With birds in the bag, chances for the dogs, and weather that's the kind you live the rest of the year waiting for, I'll take a snowless, calm, brisk day in the Minnesota north woods!

We are looking to meet PGCA member Jeff C. next week for lunch at one of the local eating spots. It will be nice to swap stories with a fellow hunter-collector. I should note that I've been using my go-to grouse gun so far on this trip -- my 1930s John Dickson and Sons box lock 28 bore. At 5 lbs. 3 oz. it's a nice all-day carry gun that kills birds just fine when I can "see" them. I'll break out the Parker DH 16 later in the hunt for its inaugural outing.

P.S. Bruce, sorry that the weather played havoc with your recent hunt. It's clear to me that bird numbers are up over last year.

Below:

1. The Rice Lake Duck Clubhouse, far back on a two track.
2. Getting through the blowdowns is worth it -- there's grouse there.
3. Our girl, Cedar, and one of "her" birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1014.jpg (176.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1060.jpg (195.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1054.jpg (216.6 KB, 4 views)
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: