View Single Post
Original finishes
Unread 01-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Tom Snyder
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Original finishes

A customer brought a VH grade Parker into my shop that had been "restored", complete with the sand paper marks under the finish and a buffed receiver that was cyanide colored. That's not to mention the fact that the "restorer" did something to it such that the action wouldn't open and he had warned the owner that the stock was a bit fragile. When I got the stock off there were multiple pieces of loose wood in the receiver, one sear doesn't work, the triggers don't pivot freely, etc. You've got the picture.

While I can't do anything about the fact that the receiver was buffed, I can do something about the cyanide coloring by having it pack hardened. My question regards what parts of the action were original case hardened vs. charcoal blued. As the gun has come in everything has been case colored, triggers, break lever, triggerguard, safety, all forearm parts, etc. Would someone enlighten me on what the original finishes were on these pieces?

The "restorer" had also recut the checkering, fortunately he didn't mess it up too badly but he didn't carefully point up the diamonds. Were the diamonds originally carefully pointed up or were some of the tops a fit flat?

Some answers would be greatly appreciated!

Tom
Tom Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote