View Single Post
factory decoy
Unread 07-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #36
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,165 Times in 3,261 Posts

Default factory decoy

it was a duck hunting weekend in the antique shops- found an old Pennsylvania Game Commission waterfowl ID book- with nice reproductions of what seem to be watercolor paintings of the various species- i thought about taking it apart to frame some - but its in too nice condition to break up. and got the contact info for a J. Eugene Hendrickson swimming black duck that seems to have never seen water - so- may go for that one soon

a couple other odds and ends - but found this lathe turned hen mallard - i assume Victor or Pascagoula (but the speculum is off for those i think) - obviously the base is not original - paint is old - but i am curious if its original or someone dressed it up for display - looks to have been never used and was a display piece out of an estate of a banking family, the name with the decoy was the son of the founder and president of the bank in the early 1900's - not sure yet when he passed - but the bank's webpage states he and the rival bank's president (the two merged during the depression) were great hunting partners.

anyway- looking for opinions - seems like fancy paint job for the lathe style decoy - it has glass eyes - and I already had a very similar drake in great paint that had been lightly hunted - so the two will shelve as a pair