View Single Post
Two Barrel Sets
Unread 08-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

Default Two Barrel Sets

I'm after a 20ga VHE two barrel set but I'm not really sure why. They are 28 and 32, two forearms and a two bbl LOM case. The owner of this recently passed so now I'm waiting on the family.

I understand the logic behind a two barrel set but are they really that practical? Most of what you see are 26 & 28 inch lengths IC/M and M/F. I don't really see the difference in 2 inches of barrel length.

How much use does the "other" set really get? I have three two barrel sets and have owned others. The Hollywood gun is a two barrel set. Both are 28 inches with vent ribs and separate forearms. One set (the one I use) is choked skt/skt the other M/F. I use the skt barrels all the time for sporting clays and have owned the gun for 10+years and the M/F barrels have never been on it. There is an upgraded 28ga. The Parker barrels are 26 inches IC/M which get used for upland hunting. The second set are 28 inches M/F and are from James Purdey. I have used these a couple of times for clays. Maybe the most useful set is a 16ga Purdey that has 29 inch M/F and 26 inch IC/F barrels. I've been using the 29's on sporting clays and will take it north for grouse with the 26 inch tubes.

How much value does the extra barrels add and is that ever realized in being used? If I get the chance to buy the VHE 20 set I undoubtedly will but as the gun has no safety IIRC it's strictly a clays gun so once again I have to ask myself why?