View Single Post
Unread 08-26-2021, 07:47 AM   #9
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,219 Posts

Thanks everyone. I had some questions and will answer them here. This 1894 is mid 1329xx range and while I don't have Semmer's book handy right now as I recall that serial is dated 1905. Stock dims are 1-3/8 by 2 by 14" LOP over the Remington rubber plate. Barrel legend shows "Trap Gun F Grade". Ejectors are in perfect time and will throw paper or plastic empties 8-10 feet to land within inches of each other. Chambers measure a tad short of 2-3/4", call that 1/32" short using a precision gauge made on the lathe. Weight 8.0 pounds on my digital scale.

Yesterday I was shooting a cleanup of random reloads to include Federal papers 1-ounce with 700-X powder, also Rem Game Clubs 1-ounce with "PB" powder, and Game Clubs loaded with 7/8 ounce ahead of Alliant E3. Primers were Winchester, Fiocchi and Cheddite respectively and the Remmy was harder to open with the Winchesters owing to firing pin/tip drag. Same as many Fox guns and that's why I rarely use Winchester 209's in reloads intended for a variety of vintage SxS's. As I'd written she shot a little high as compared with my regular sporting double-guns but after firing at a tree top to check POI and adjusting/getting into the Remmy she did pretty well.

Craig, some months ago I also came into a 1900 K Remington in 16b, 28" damascus made with upland stock dims and chokes at 7 and 21 points, about IC and I-Mod. Really nice shape and weight 6-9. I'll be trying her out on clays and then birds this fall.

For those who will be at the Vintage Gunners Cup at Hausmann's, Steve Barnett Fine Guns will be exhibiting and there are a ton of Remington 1894 and 1900 doubles on the SBFG site. A phone call to August there in the shop can probably arrange to get one or more brought to Hidden Hollow for inspection. Just sayin.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: