Thread: roomy hull
View Single Post
Unread 11-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #25
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

I have found BPI’s information useful, but only as a guide. I think it would be foolish to implicitly rely on anyone’s data as a starting point. I don’t care how basic or exotic your equipment is, there is no machine which will drop precisely the same charge a ‘chart’ or ‘manual’ states it to deliver. If I use data from anyone, BPI, or the guy next door, I think it’s only good common sense to start out low, and work up to it..
On the topic of case filling, it seems people often loose sight of what patterns well, as opposed to what looks good once the crimp is folded. Sticking some foreign material in to get the column to a proper height for crimping seems like a good idea, only if you have verified the charge looks good on the pattern board..
I have countless bags of wads under my bench that may never get used, but I had to buy them in order to find the one that works in all departments.
Sure would seem like a nice gesture to the loading community, if Precision, BPI and others would sell samples, in smaller quantities.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: