View Single Post
Last chance for deer
Unread 01-02-2021, 09:53 PM   #1
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,830 Times in 2,017 Posts

Default Last chance for deer

Ohio muzzle loader started today, but this was probably going to be my last/only chance to hunt. My son wanted to hunt the other days, but couldnt today. I only have 1 ML , so I was going to let him have it the rest of the season. Saw nothing all day, and got out of the stand at 3:15 to take a short walk and warm up. Just as I got back to the ladder stand , deer started coming out in the field, keeping me from going back up, so I just leaned against a big sycamore tree. Two does a hundred yds away, then a 4 pt within 20 yds. You could hear him crunching the brassicas like a crisp apple. Then a couple more does, but couldnt get the gun up with the little buck right on top of me. Then an 8 pt stepped out walking away from me with the only available shot, the old Texas heart shot--I passed on that. Another bigger 8 pt stepped out and finally turned broadside at 60 yds. I shot quickly, but when the smoke cleared, he was lying there kicking, then suddenly jumped up and ran uphill into the woods. By the time I reloaded it was dark, found the blood trail, but walked a quarter mile back to the truck to get my headlamp. With good light found him 40 yds up in the woods. Just an avg/mediocre 8 pt--had passed on bigger early in bow and gun season, but wife reminded me yesterday that there was little left from last yrs muzzle loader doe, so we are now good for another year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210102_181020.jpg (500.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20210102_184736.jpg (535.5 KB, 2 views)