Thread: one too many?
View Single Post
Unread 08-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

We kept a pair of sibling Shorthairs (1 male & 1 female) from a litter we had but, there was circumstance surrounding the way it came to pass.

We kept a female from our litter (Layne) and a good friend ended up with one of our males (Squid). Our friend went through a divorce and that sort of chaos placed Squid in a pretty unhealthy environment. Plus, some moving around was likely to occur. My buddy had the good sense to know that it wasn’t good for the dog so he asked & we agreed to bring Squid back home, without a moments hesitation.

We didn’t let any of our litter go to their new homes until they were ten weeks. Squid was gone for maybe a year and a half. From the reports that others have shared, it sounds like the autonomy afforded both dogs during formative yrs made the difference. I say so because, Squid and Layne were wonderful and there were no dominance issues whatsoever. They were only so-so in the field but, that was my fault. No matter what was going on - where there was one, you would find the other. That said, the two siblings + their Sire and Dam put four dogs in the house for a period of time..that’s not likely to happen again.

We miss Squiddy and Layne terribly. Our only dog now, Kansas is kin to all of our dogs past. Kansas is dear to us beyond what words could ever begin to describe.

Squid and Layne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Squid and Lane.jpg (120.3 KB, 2 views)
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post: