View Single Post
16 G Cheddite problems
Unread 10-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 16 G Cheddite problems

Double posting this , over on the 16 G site too.

Been shooting up a flat of Herters 1 oz 16’s in my new Parker Trojan. Work fine bit more than needed for target work though. Getting all the components together to load 16 low pressure. Some problems though. Tooling for my PW 375 is the new style Taper crimp die, the short one does not come up to the laoded case mouth

No matter how I set the final crimp on the once fired Herters it collapses the hull Also have some fresh Cheddites unfired they do the same thing.

I turned a hull filler out of wood. It fills the case same as the load. Supported inside the Herters shell crimps fine. So my problem may be more wad than sizer.
No DR16’s, the 16 G Forum recommended wad available bought some SG16S wads same time as the new Cheddites although recomended it seems to be a loose fit in the shell. They say they are for 7/8 to 1 oz loads, 7/8 overfills the wad ¾ fills it nice. ¾ is OK with me. At times have overfilled wads with no problems other hulls.

Friend gave me some Remington Gun Club hulls this morning they load just fine on the taper crimp P-W using ¾ oz shot and the SG16S

What’s the advice look for the old style long P-W 16 die which I am sure will cure the problem. Or get rid of the Cheddites in favor of hard to find Remington’s (old forum post says PW advises Cheddites can’t be loaded on a 375 , (they may mean can’t be loaded with taper crimp dies) Or wait for a new run of DR 16 wads.

What hulls do you guys use in 16's

Boats
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote