Unread 04-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
The one I showed is a model 1903, and they are almost never seen. This one wouldn't have been seen again, but the nameless kid who left it leaning against a tree for a whole winter thought to save it. When it came to me, wrapped in a blanket, it was missing more than it had, and was rust from muzzle to butt, but, amazingly, very little of the rust left noticeable pits. Eventually, the original owner, who is becoming somewhat forgetful, found the bolt, then the clip, then a thumbscrew, which begs the question how many guns did he forget, as the thumbscrew is for another gun.
Edgar, you knew this post would elicit a response from me... and you hoped I would too.

I have no isea how the little Savage came to be as rusty as it did. When it came to me as one of a bunch of guns given to me by the elderly sister of a fellow in Vt who had passed away a few years earlier, there was no thumb screw, no clip, and when I handed it to you it was missing the bolt. I had misplaced it. Some months later I found the bolt and sent it to you but despite both of our endless searching of the Internet and elsewhere, no clip could be found.
At least a year later while I was at grouse camp i was rummaging through an old bucket of odds & ends mixed with dust and mouse turds I discovered a little clip for a .22. I thought it might belong to a little .22 automatic pistol but I put it in my pocket and took it home with me as nobody who comes to grouse camp these days even has a .22. It must have been in that bucket for decades left there by "who knows who"...
And so I sent it to you Edgar, thinking maybe you, being the wizard of all things possible, could somehow make it work in the little Savage.

But I never expected the expletive laden response from you when you called to tell me it was the exact clip for the Savage and the accusations that it was I who inadvertantly and absent-mindedly brought it to Vermont and dropped it into that bucket.

And that, dear readers, is the rest of the story.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: