Unread 03-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wells View Post
Factory patterns for the most part tend to be on the basic side especially animal scenes. They had to be cut fast and there was no time to put too much detail in an animal which is why they mostly looked like cartoons rather than lifelike renditions.

Tim, I think that might be said of the lower grades (I'm talking Parkers here) but more to the point, specific engravers had their own style of engraving and executed their own rendition of birds, dogs, and (ugh) elk. On grades 2, 3, 4, and 5 a certain engraver might render beautiful depictions of setters and pointers while another engraver working on the same grades makes these same animals look like 'smoos'.
Yes, the engravers couldn't spend as much time on a Grade 3 as they would be expected to painstakingly spend on a Grade 6 or 7 so naturally the overall appearance of the engraving suffered a bit. But I think the biggest difference in the appearance of the birds and dogs, etc. was in the mind and hand of the engraver.

These examples are all different engraving periods by all different engravers. The renditions are their individual concepts of setters and they are all from Grade 3 and 1 grade 4 Parkers. (The first and second may have been done by the same hand)

Incidentally, only one of these guns is mine... No. 1

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DHE Dog Detail 1909.jpg (293.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Parker 123133 Right.jpg (56.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Parker Penis Rt 236397.jpg (108.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Parker_D_18544_Jent.jpg (52.3 KB, 658 views)
File Type: jpg [29] 214604 2.jpg (525.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2013 Annual Meeting & 20 Ga 056.jpg (563.7 KB, 8 views)
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: