Thread: Rst reloading
View Single Post
Unread 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Are you stuck on using 2 1/2 inch RST's specifically, or are you just looking for low pressure loads for your Damascus 12ga? My 12ga loader is a Mec Grabber, which is a progressive machine and can't be modified to load the shorter shells. I've only recently started reloading, and was asking the same question about short RST 12ga reloads. The Fox and Parker guys I've consulted about this told me not to worry as much about using a 2 1/2in versus a 2 3/4in inch shell for 12ga's. In a 16ga or especially in a 20ga I think it makes a big difference in the pressures, but not so much in the 12ga. I'm reloading Remington Gun Club, STS's, Nitro Golds, Federal Gold, and Winchester AA's in 2 3/4 inches and using them in my Parkers and Foxes that have short chambers. I'm using IMR PB Powder and the Claybuster Wads (CB-1100) and Remington STS 209 or Winchester 209 Primers. With that combination I've been able to come up with several 1oz loads from 1100fps to 1200fps, and between 6,000 to 7,000 PSI (some as low as 4,300) and I can use any of the hulls I've listed.

Mike
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote