Thread: Stuff
View Single Post
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #83
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills Morrison View Post
It is a real treasure to have that collection and too bad the museums have turned up their noses. It does not surprise me as we have the same problem with our local art museum in Savannah. They want stuff you would see in New York, but turn away good local work - stuff people actually want to see.
Yup; my experience too. I have also run into directors of museums being young women, recent graduates from some sort of school of museum science. I see little excitement concerning history. It is a business and a place for the employees to feel important. I don't get a good feeling when working with these folks.

Okay, I don't want to come off as petty or trite. But museums here are becoming like museums in the UK where they are part of the school system and very P.C... As an example I've been to the Cody in Cody Wy many times and right after they opened. They used to have scalps and severed finger necklasses on display. (taken at the Custer fight and found soon thereafter) No longer. It was explained to me that some very vocal people demanded that such items be hidden away. One of the items was the scalp Buffalo Bill'stook from Yellow Hand. It used to be on display. It is an interesting historical item. No longer.

To me, history and Parkers are sacrosanct.

And, yes, it is exciting owning this little group of tintypes.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote