View Single Post
Spent Wad Inspection
Unread 05-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
Hixie
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Spent Wad Inspection

From my muzzle loader shooting and use of saboted bullets, I've learned that it's worthwhile to inspect the spent sabots (if you can find them) when developing a powder/bullet combo for hunting. The condition of the spent sabot can indicate potential problems.

Does this apply to shot shell wads? In the photo are two wads from a light 3/4 oz 20 ga load I want to have on hand for early season grouse and woodcock hunting. I am using Win AA hulls with Win 209 primers, CB 1075-20 wads for 3/4 oz shot, 15.2 gr Unique. This load is supposed to produce 1200 fps at 8200 psi. The shells load up nicely and the crimps are just right with an occasional small open spot in the center. The wads look fine to me but I am not sure I know what I am looking at. The plastic is heavily stippled which I take to mean that the shot was pressed into the plastic (or vice-versa) with pressure but again I am not sure if this is normal or not.

I test-fired them in my Browning Lightning and they shoot very nicely with light recoil. I didn't make a pointed effort to examine the pattern but I could see that the shot struck the target background fairly uniformly. These will be used in my Parker 20 ga guns and as long as they are safe I will pattern them with those guns. Any feedback from the experts here is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png 20 ga wads.PNG (306.7 KB, 146 views)
Ted Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted Hicks For Your Post: