View Single Post
Unread 11-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mark that is awful. Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda is also part of the continuing agony but obviously bad things happen fast that are almost uncontrollable even if all precautions taken. There were probably a half dozen to a dozen different things that could have happened to prevent the tragedy in what is probably a 1 out of 100 bad encounters with a snake, and even then still might not have made a difference. Perfect storm, rotten luck or fickled finger of fate, no matter it just stinks.

Its why you and many wear snake boots in snake country for protection of yourself and to give you peace of mind so you can go and grab a dog and not worry about being bitten or shield a bite. Your right and your encounter proved it that this time of year if you see one there are others around as they tend to congregate some to den up. Its A good rule of thumb that if in deep South during hunting season even if its 45 degrees out or warmer air temp and especially if sun out slap on the protection. Ya know there are a good many that don't and odds are in their favor, but..... You did'nt mention it but were other members of party wearing snake protection. I know that your typical rule.

BTW its never the snake you see that concerns me. Your also very correct about if you have to kill a snake and leave it for dead to finish the job safely and make sure that business end is permanently out of action. I'm not 100% certain how long after death a reptiles muscles can contract but its a long time.

For me I try and personally let snakes alone most of the time they don't want nothing to do with you since we are not on the menu. Its easy to blame the snake but that is wrong as well. They just function and do what they do in their habitat. Supposedly we are the ones walking around with the big brain and along with that is supposed to be capacity of remorse, compassion and guilt.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: