View Single Post
"The side-by double is the Gentleman's gun--"
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default "The side-by double is the Gentleman's gun--"

Said by the late Capt. Paul A. Curtis in his 1934 great book (my "Bible") Guns and Gunning. You just proved it, in spades my friend. I'll keep the spring, but I very much appreciate your offer for the return. I have labelled boxes and zip-bags with springs, firing pins, misc- and if being a "pack-rat" were one of the qualifications for being a good gunsmith, I'd have that hurdle well overcome, that's for sure-

I solved the problem, at least for my point in time- I took the original spring- it had broken cleanly about half-way on the leaf side that pushes against the top lever pocket- and taken a smaller length leaf spring (after I did a compresssion test via pliers)- measured and cut down with a Dremel cut-off thin wheel (grinding stones too much heat input- destroy temper) the broken leg to almost the developed radius at the bend- nested it over the smaller spring, inserted, popped the locating pin in place- Bingo- works like a charm and I have (with the stock still off- but sears and floor plate in place- cocked, dry fired, recocked- spring is "dead nuts" in place-

Now- in my opinion, as this is NOT an ejector gun, also as Dave S. has informed me the mainspring is a coil spring even in the earlier King 18 pc. actioned Parkers (as this PH 16 and the GHE 12 I have) opening and closing, one hammer down or both- the springs are NOT also involved in resetting the non-existent ejectors- also, as it is a small gauge (to me, anything less than a 12 is a small ga.) and I don't as yet have BP shells for it, it won't be fired as much as my 12's-

I bought it because I wanted another Winter gun project within my scope- the stock has very nice walnut for a PH grade, balance is perfect- 26" barrels undinged or reblued-ribs intact- muzzles touch- not a "cut-down" 28 or 30 gun--and for a 1906 era- has very shootable stock dims for me- 14.25 LOP from front trigger, 1.5 DAC 2.25 DAH- No cast- about 4% pitch (est'd)- should shoot 'right where I'm looking"- wish we have quails here-

Anyway Harry, many thanks for all your help. We all are indeed blessed to have some many fine gentlemen such as you and others willing to help out our "brother Parkerites"--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post: